Trying to load some of my old Tabular files

Peter Williamson

20 Sep, 2021 05:02 AM

Hi! Since Covid my teaching has become 100% Zoom based. I have a wealth of old Tabular files which I would like to use - these have the standard notation as well as TAB - I cannot load them in (Version 2.4) - it seems to be loading them but nothing happens. It is supposed to be going into the library but can't find them - what has happened? Have you changed Tabular?
Pls let me know!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Jarod Long on 21 Sep, 2021 07:05 PM

Hey Peter! When you say it seems to be loading the files but nothing happens, does that mean you can see the files in your library but can't open them? If that's the case, could you go into a little more detail about the behavior you're seeing? Do you see any error messages, or does the app just not respond at all when you try to open a file?

You can also look for your files directly in Finder. If you're using the standard library location in iCloud, you should have a folder called Tabular in iCloud Drive which contains all your files. Otherwise they should be in whichever location you chose for your library, which you should be able to check in the preferences menu. Are you able to see your files in Finder?

2. 2 Posted by Peter Williamso... on 23 Sep, 2021 01:29 AM

Hi Jarod,

I have some older .tabu files I which I did a few years back – (about 15) these pieces had music notation and on second line TAB. When I try & load them the system crashes – has your updated program changed? Ie not supporting music notation as well as TAB? I think the program sees the files – if I click on them I get a progress bar as it tries to load but nothing happens – I can’t seem to move these files into the library . I am using a MacBook Pro with Catalina OS – the files I originally composed were on Yosemite (32 bit) – sad that I can’t use these files as my teaching now is completely via Zoom in Canberra, Have resorted to MuseScore3 to try & write some new pieces, though not nearly as good as the original Tabular. Hope you have some answers!

Thanks for your time,

Peter

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Jarod Long on 23 Sep, 2021 05:32 AM

Got it, thanks for the info! Those .tabu files are an older format used by version 1 of the app, but you should still be able to open them in the current version. If you don't mind, could you zip up the files you're trying to open (right-click the folder and select Compress) and send them to me? I'll be able to take a closer look and see what's going wrong.

As far as music notation vs tablature, you're correct, Tabular only shows tablature notation as of version 2. It was a necessary change to reduce complexity and keep this project manageable for myself long-term as a solo developer, but I'm very sorry if that's something you were relying on. I hope the app is still useful to you!

4. 4 Posted by Peter Williamso... on 24 Sep, 2021 11:53 PM

Hi Jarod,

Thanks for the return email- as a teacher at a college I have to have music notation on all pieces as students have to be able to read music. It was a bonus to have the TAB on the flamenco pieces but the music dept is serious about standard music notation. I hope you will rethink the Tabular app as I thought it outperformed many of the top end programmes. Thanks for your time and effort!

Regards

Peter

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Jarod Long on 26 Sep, 2021 07:25 PM

Sorry to hear that Peter! I totally understand, and I wish I could still provide sheet music support in the app. I unfortunately don't have the resources to work on Tabular full time anymore, and removing sheet music was the best way to cut down on scope and keep it maintainable in my spare time. But if things change in the future, I'd definitely like to bring it back.

In the mean time, if you'd like, I'd still be happy to get your old files up and running again so you can export them to another app. Let me know!

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Chromatic Labs please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac