Cannot enter a res

Keath Doe

16 Apr, 2021 06:21 PM

Use to be able to hit the space bar and it would ad a quarter not rest. Rests do not seem to be an option any more

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Jarod Long on 19 Apr, 2021 07:34 AM

Hey Keath,

The space bar should work as you described as long as there is room in the selected measure to fit another division, otherwise it will insert a new measure. You may need to modify the duration of existing divisions before you can insert a new rest. You can also press R to remove the notes in the selected divisions to convert them into rests.

Hope this helps, but let me know if you're still having trouble!

2. 2 Posted by KEATH DOE on 19 Apr, 2021 01:04 PM

Using the space bar use to work when I used the app in the past. I had accidentally deleted the app last week and when I reloaded the app I noticed many changes and one of them is that rests are no longer available. If I use the space bar it just repeats the previously selected note whether a half note or whole note etc but not a rest. If I use the space bar to fill up the measure it creates a measure as usual but it adds the previously used note not a rest as before. If I use the - to reduce the size of the note it will not reduce to a rest.

Sent from my iPad

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Jarod Long on 20 Apr, 2021 03:41 AM

Ahh, I think I understand the confusion. It sounds like you just updated to version 2, which uses different notational conventions than version 1. Rather than full staff notation above the tablature, the app now has a compact single line of duration markers. I think you're expecting to see rest symbols there, but the app currently always uses non-rest symbols to indicate duration. Whether a division is a rest or not depends on whether the tablature contains any notes. This was true in version 1 as well, it's just notated in a different way now.

4. 4 Posted by KEATH DOE on 20 Apr, 2021 03:59 AM

No I understand the changes to the staff notation being simplified. The issue is I cannot enter a rest in the tab

Sent from my iPad

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Jarod Long on 20 Apr, 2021 04:01 AM

When you press the space bar to create a new division, there should be no notes in the tablature of that division. Is that not what you're seeing?

6. 6 Posted by KEATH DOE on 20 Apr, 2021 04:07 AM

No
    in the new measure it puts the same note as the last note of the previous measure. It used to put a rest

Sent from my iPad

7. 7 Posted by KEATH DOE on 20 Apr, 2021 04:12 AM

This is using an iPad Pro with magic keyboard. I removed the ipad from the keyboard just now to try without the keyboard but cannot remember how to get the space bar up

Sent from my iPad

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by Jarod Long on 20 Apr, 2021 04:19 AM

Just to be clear, you're saying that if, for example, you input the note E into the tablature, then press the space bar, you'll get a second copy of that E? I haven't seen that happen before, so I'm a bit stumped. Do you think you would be able to send me a quick screen recording of the behavior you're seeing so I can take a closer look?

9. 9 Posted by KEATH DOE on 20 Apr, 2021 04:34 AM

Sent from my iPad

10. Support Staff 10 Posted by Jarod Long on 20 Apr, 2021 07:22 AM

Thank you for sending that, I appreciate it! It looks to be behaving correctly. Pressing the space bar is creating a new division that doesn't contain any notes, which is how a rest is notated in the app. If you play it back, you should be able to hear that the new divisions are played as rests.

11. 11 Posted by KEATH DOE on 20 Apr, 2021 02:29 PM

Ok great I misunderstood I still expected to see a rest in the tab not a blank. Thanks for clarifying. It would be better though to show a rest in the tab versus a blank.

Sent from my iPad

12. Support Staff 12 Posted by Jarod Long on 20 Apr, 2021 06:20 PM

Makes sense, I'll keep that in mind! Apologies for the confusion and the back and forth.

13. 13 Posted by KEATH DOE on 20 Apr, 2021 08:11 PM

No problem Jarod. Great app though

Sent from my iPad

14. 14 Posted by KEATH DOE on 24 Apr, 2021 09:59 PM

Hi Jarod,
    On your website it indicates under import export that you can share in pdf format but I cannot see how this can be done seems only tabular, midi or plain text are available

Sent from my iPad

15. Support Staff 15 Posted by Jarod Long on 25 Apr, 2021 05:33 AM

Hey Keath,

It's on my to do list to better communicate how to do this in the app because it's not very clear, especially on iPad, but exporting to PDF is done via the print command. On any standard print dialogue in iOS, you can pinch outward on the preview image as if you were trying to zoom in on it, and it will expand into a new screen with a PDF preview. There's a share button on this page that you can use to export the PDF file wherever you'd like.

Hope that helps!

16. 16 Posted by KEATH DOE on 25 Apr, 2021 07:21 PM

Excellent thanks Jarod

Sent from my iPad

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Chromatic Labs please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac