MusicXML

David Rubert

19 Apr, 2017 09:21 PM

Hello,

Love Tabular. Have been using it for years. I'm looking into putting some of my stuff on soundslice.com. So I'm examining export/import options and I have two questions.

1. Do you think you will ever support MusicXML export?

2. Where do I find more information about .otab files?

Thanks,
David

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Jarod Long on 20 Apr, 2017 11:01 PM

Hey David, thanks for getting in touch!

Yes, I'm definitely interested in supporting MusicXML export. I'm currently wrapping up the 2.0 update, which will increase stability and fix bugs while mostly maintaining feature parity. After that, this is one of the next features I'd like to add, so it should hopefully arrive in one of the minor updates after 2.0.

There's unfortunately no real documentation for .otab files. I had ambitions to create a standardized tablature file format, which is what that was supposed to be, but that didn't end up working out. It's just a big JSON structure that contains all of the document's data. You can certainly parse it and do whatever you'd like with it if that's what you're interested in, and I'm more than happy to answer any questions you have about it. However, Tabular 2.0 won't use the exact same format. It will be a similar but incompatible JSON structure to accommodate the underlying changes coming along with 2.0.

I'm very interested in having a properly-documented file format, although that will come after 2.0. I'd like to spend some time iterating on the format before officially documenting it.

Hope this helps, and let me know if you need anything else!

Jarod

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Chromatic Labs please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac